RUFC - Better News for Youth
After reporting last week that the Youth team set-up at Millmoor was under threat due to the club going into Administration, today there is better news.
The Advertiser reports that, after last Friday's crucial meeting, the programme has been saved for at least this coming month after the football body agreed to continue to put money into the scheme. The Administrator, Jeremy Bleazard, had to sign a Deed of Trust guaranteeing that any Football League youth monies would be used for nothing else but the Youth scheme.
Chief Operating Officer, Paul Douglas, told The Advertiser that the club are keen to keep the youth programme and the Centre of Excellence because they feel the development of young players is important and it is attractive to any potential purchasers of the club. 'It is important to remember that the Youth programme will only have a future as long as the football club does and, at the moment, that is the beginning of May,' Mr Douglas said.
'For me one of the most important reasons for Rotherham United surviving is the one hundred and fifty kids who use the Centre of Excellence. It gives them life habits and keeps them off the streets and enables them to live the dream of becoming a professional footballer.'