RUFC - An ex Miller's Q & A's
Ex Rotherham United defender, BIG GUY BRANSTON has kindly taken time out of his busy schedule to answer Vital Rotherham's questions - and being the sort of person he is he even thanked me and said he enjoyed doing them.
1. Who are you playing for now and what have you been up to since you left the Millers?
At Peterboro Utd before that it was Oldham and before that it was Sheff Wed
2. Who are the best players you've played with and against in your career.
Andy Monkhouse for the best abilty and Mark Robins finishing. So happy he got the job at Rotherham
3. Do you think there should be a cap on the number of foreign players per squad, in order to enhance the progression of home-bred players in the English Leagues?
No, football's about playing the best if you are a good English kid you will develop in the long run better for the influx of foriegn players
4. What are your realistic hopes and ambitions for the future?
Keep playing as long as the body lets me then become a boss somewhere
5. How does the Millmoor playing surface compare with other clubs?
Great surface a lot better than most just that slope would kill you if you were 2-1 down, haha
6. Who has been your toughest opponent so far in your career?
Doug Freeman great player at our level
7. Who's the biggest joker you have come across in football and do you have any stories that can be told to highlight this.
I met lots of really fun people in football but Chris Swalies is the best. I remember we was under at lot of pressure at Oldham - Ron, Breck, me, Warne - and he would do things to get you laughing and enjoy your football training. One day he kept on at me about he was under that much pressure to be fit he wanted to fly off somewhere, at this time he was behind me as I turn around he stuck a dead crow (bird) he had picked up off the training pitch in My face - all the team started to laugh and did so for about a week!
8. Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far?
9. What is your routine on match days?
Nothing really just think about what I want to achieve in the match
10. Training....enjoyment or a burden
hahahahhah footballs hard not to enjoy but yes you do have your hard days
11. What is the highlight of your career so far?
Winning two promotions with Rotherham and playing the Liverpool game in the FA Cup at Anfield 3rd round
12. How much difference does it make having the fans singing/chanting at home/away games?
Loads - massive support made my time at Rotherham the best in my career
13. Is there any player, not now playing, who you would love to have played alongside?
Steve Walsh - don`t think much would have got past us. Always liked going to watch him as a kid
14. How much influence has your family had on your football lives?
A lot I think support being the main thing and a big factor, but my mum always let me make the good and bad decisions
15. Be honest, what did you actually know of Rotherham before you signed for us?
Lots... played there a few times with Leicester reserves looked a nice club area wise, I know it was near Sheffield
I'D like to say a big thank you again to Guy for doing this for us!