Vital Football

Latest Rotherham United News

Millers Get Back-To-Back Wins

Rotherham United
3 - 2

New York Stadium

9 September 2017 3.00pm

Attendance: 7,848 (574 Shakers)


Rotherham United twice went ahead only to be pulled back before a last minute goal from new boy Richie Towell gave them all three points against Bury this afternoon at the New York Stadium.

The Millers gave a debut to goalkeeper Marek Rodak who signed at the end of August but only joined up this week after playing for the Slovakian U21's. But he wasn't bothered by Bury's first sight of goal after some nice work from Josh Laurent sent Harry Bunn on his way with Will Vaulks getting a block in. At the other end Vaulks saw Shakers' 'keeper Joe Murphy hold onto his shot before a cross across goal from Lee Frecklington was put out for a corner which the visitors managed to hack away. On ten minutes Richard Wood managed to get a toe on a cross from Frecklington but Murphy was equal to it followed by the visiting 'keeper managing to get a hand to a thunderous shot from Ryan Williams. Murphy also did well to save another shot from Vaulks before the busy Jon Taylor saw a great cross into the box put out for a throw-in. The Millers pressure paid off on twenty minutes when a superb ball in from Vaulks found Kieffer Moore who plucked the ball out of the air, controlled it well and slipped it into the back of the net. Taylor won a free-kick after he was brought down by Josh Laurent who he'd just nutmegged. The free-kick came to nothing but Taylor had a brilliant chance to double the hosts lead after Frecklington went by Laurent sending the Millers winger clear but after rounding Murphy he put the ball into the side-netting from a tight angle. And less than a minute later, and against run of play, a lovely cross from Ryan Lowe found the head of Jermaine Beckford who headed home. The Millers saw Shaun Cummings go off injured and Richie Towell make his home debut in his place. Rotherham battled on and Frecklington saw a shot land on the top of the goal and one deflected behind before Ben Purrington found himself in front of goal but with just Murphy to beat his shot went high.

The visitors had to play the second half without Manager Lee Clark who went to the stands, whether by design or being sent there by referee Sarginson it is unclear. The Millers got a free-kick on five minutes into the half which saw Nathan Cameron get a yellow card for kicking the ball away. Joe Murphy did well for the visitors punching away from a corner before Kieffer Moore could get to it and then managing to beat Jon Taylor to collect a minute later. Nine minutes into the half the Millers regained the lead when a superb cross from Taylor was headed home by Moore at the back post. Jordan Williams was replaced by Mihai-Alexandru Dobre for the visitors. Moore went down under a challenge from Alex Whitmore, who had been having little tugs and kicks at him all game, and had to go off for stitches in a face wound. The Millers had Richard Wood to thank for a block from Jermaine Beckford while Taylor saw a shot go inches wide at the other end. On the hour mark Bury brought on Michael Smith for Ryan Low. The Millers should probably have gone further in front after Williams pounced on a mistake by Alex Whitmore and with Frecklington freeing himself of his marker in the box Williams decided to try himself and the ball went wide. And the Millers were punished a minute later when a high free-kick in the box which was headed on by substitute Smith and with the Millers defenders stood still Nathan Cameron stooped low and headed home from close range making it two-two. Minutes later Marek Rodak did well to get behind a Dobre shot before Williams did well to get past two Bury defenders only to see his effort deflected for a corner. Surprisingly Paul Warne decided to sub Williams, who was causing the Bury defence a few problems and brought on Anthony Forde with fifteen minutes to go. More good work from Taylor saw him find Forde but his header was blocked by Cameron before a good ball in from Ben Purrington found the head of Moore but Murphy got his hands to it. With five minutes to go the Millers final substitution saw Frecklington replaced by David Ball. Whitmore saw yellow for a poor challenge on Moore with Murphy easily saving the resulting free-kick from Taylor. As the board was about to go up for an extra five minutes Rodak sent a long ball forward which was flicked into the path of Richie Towell whose low effort flew past the diving Murphy into the net sending the majority of the seven thousand eight hundred Millers fan home happy.

Well done to the Millers today who got their first back-to-back win this afternoon since March 2016 when Neil Warnock was in charge of our 'great escape'.

This time last year if we'd lost a lead it would have been curtains but today we kept fighting, we kept battling and well deserved the three points this afternoon.

Star Player

Another difficult decision - for good reasons. You can't miss Jon Taylor's contribution to the game, again running his socks off. And Kieffer Moore took both his goals well and was pushed, pulled and kicked all afternoon. I thought it was a shame that Will Vaulks had to come out of the central-defensive roll when Cummings went off as he was doing well there. But I think I'm going to give the Man of the Match to RYAN WILLIAMS who fought like a good 'un in midfield

Date:Saturday September 9 2017
Time: 7:00PM

Login to post a comment

Site Journalists

Editor email
no email

Current Poll (see more polls)

Northampton MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Sub - Forde0%
Sub - Ihiekwe14%
Sub - Newell0%
The Vital Football Members League
Latest F1 News
Latest Vital Boxing News
Vital Football Comment

Recent Rotherham United  Results (view all)

Rotherham United  Fixtures (view all)

Vital Members League Table

5.Millie Miller14
Write for Vital Football